Workers, guests warned of measles exposure at downtown San Diego hotel
Published in News & Features
SAN DIEGO — Public health officials are working through the weekend to contain a measles exposure at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina near the San Diego Convention Center.
A public notice released Saturday morning seeks to reach anyone who was at the downtown hotel on May 17 from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. or who visited a Baskin-Robbins store at 791 Palm Ave. in Imperial Beach on May 20 between 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Public health officials ask those who visited either of these two locations on the days and at the times indicated to report early signs of infection to their medical providers. Symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose and red eyes.
Measles infectious period begins about four days before and lasts until about four days after patients develop the distinctive red rash that often causes patients to call their doctors. Reaching out when the first symptoms appear provides a chance to act before a patient becomes infectious.
Anyone in the indicated exposure windows should call ahead to give healthcare workers time to activate infection control protocols before visiting in person.
The county public health department was actually notified of two new measles cases late this week.
Dr. Ankita Kadakia, a county deputy public health officer, confirmed that both individuals live outside San Diego County but commute to jobs in the area. While the worker involved in the Marriott Marquis exposure did work at the hotel, she said, the second person has an outdoor job and does not interact with the public or co-workers.
As was the case in March when a vacationer visiting San Diego tested positive for measles infection, both of the two new cases, Kadakia said, are believed to have become infected outside San Diego County.
“So far, in all of the cases we have had in the county, we have not had any local transmission — they’ve all been travel-related cases,” Kadakia said.
That has not been the case elsewhere. Measles outbreaks have continued to occur across the nation in 2026, with 1,815 confirmed cases nationwide, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
San Diego caught a bit of a break with the two new commuter cases. Kadakia said that in both cases early infection symptoms began while both individuals were at home in other counties. Interviews indicate that both tended to go to work, then straight home without making stops in between.
San Diego infection control workers were set to begin testing Marriott Marquis workers Saturday for protective antibodies against measles infection. Those who do not have verifiable protection will be offered vaccination.
A contact tracing operation is also identifying and reaching out to hotel guests present and potentially near the infected worker. Kadakia said that there was no information available as of Saturday morning indicating how many visitors were likely exposed. About 200 workers at the hotel will be tested.
Citing privacy concerns, the county is not naming the home counties of either commuter nor their age or gender.
©2026 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Visit sandiegouniontribune.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments